Thursday, November 24, 2011

What’s Typical Anyways? The Lesson of Reframing My Perspective


Parenthood is a transformative milestone, but for me it has been especially so.  Caring for Jillian was an emotional struggle for me.  Nothing was typical, and I had to learn to adjust my expectations of what a good day meant for our family and to view life with a more mature perspective.  Because my childhood was so different from Jillian’s, I wrestled with wanting to give her experiences that weren’t really important to her. Whether it was due to her physical limitations or personality, she enjoyed very simple, uncomplicated activities.   Being her father has taught me to acknowledge and accept people for who they are and to respect their desires and perspectives. Three years removed from her death I am still embracing this lesson – it’s one worth holding on to - I guess on a day like Thanksgiving even more so.

No comments:

Post a Comment